Shelly 1 Comment ★★★★★5 from 1 review
★★★★★5 from 1 review
Jump to RecipePrint Recipe
This homemade Sweet Potato Pie is such a smooth and silky dessert with a crunchy sugar topping! Made with fresh or canned sweet potatoes, your family will love this easy, old fashioned pie recipe.
Round out your dessert table and make my Apple Pie Recipe too! It’s the best!
Table of Contents
- Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie Is A Classic!
- What Makes This the Best?
- Recipe Ingredients
- How to Make Sweet Potato Pie
- How Do I Know When My Sweet Potato Pie is Done?
- Tips for the Best Sweet Potato Pie
- How to Store Homemade Sweet Potato Pie
- Why Did My Sweet Potato Pie Crack?
- Get the Recipe
Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie Is A Classic!
Sweet potato pie is one of the simple pleasures of life, and this recipe makes it easier to prepare than ever! It’s incredibly moist and spiced to perfection with cinnamon and nutmeg. This old-fashioned pie is the perfect Fall dessert and a staple at the Thanksgiving table. My recipe is simple to make, and extra delicious with a crunchy, sweet sugar topping, which I think is the best part!
If you don’t want to spend time roasting the potatoes, you can easily make your pie with canned sweet potatoes instead. Either way, this recipe won’t disappoint! All you need are a few basic ingredients and a pre-made pie crust, which can be homemade or store-bought.
What Makes This the Best?
Besides being incredibly easy to make, with the perfect smooth, sweet texture, my sweet potato pie is topped with a crunchy sugar topping like on a creme brûlée!
It’s a simple little step that really sets this pie apart from others!
One of the best things about old fashioned recipes is that they rarely call for fancy ingredients. This sweet potato pie uses classic, easy to find pantry staples:
- Sweet Potatoes: Roasted and mashed until smooth, or canned.
- Unbaked Pie Crust: I have a recipe for the best homemade pie crust!
- Butter: Let your butter come to room temperature.
- Evaporated Milk
- Eggs: Lightly beat your eggs and bring them to room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract
- Spices: Ground Cinnamon & Nutmeg
- Kosher Salt
How to Make Sweet Potato Pie
You can split the preparation of this pie over a couple days by roasting your potatoes in advance. Just store them in the fridge until you’re ready to proceed with making the rest of this pie.
- Heat Oven: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Roast Potatoes: Clean the sweet potatoes and bake them for 45-55 minutes until very soft. Allow the potatoes to cool.
- Reduce Heat: Reduce the heat on your oven to 350°F.
- Assemble Crust: Roll out your pie dough to 12-inches in diameter. Place the dough in a 9×2-inch (deep dish) pie plate. Set aside or into the refrigerator if you’re not ready to bake yet.
- Peel & Mash Potatoes: Once the potatoes have cooled, peel the skin and mash them up until smooth. You will need 2 cups of mashed sweet potatoes. Set aside.
- Make Pie Filling: In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter and 3/4 cup of granulated sugar together for 1 minute. Add in the mashed sweet potatoes, evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mix for another minute until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add Filling to Crust: Pour the pie filling into the unbaked pie crust. Sprinkle the top of the filling with the remaining 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. Allow the pie to sit for 10 minutes to allow the sugar to dissolve/melt.
- Bake: Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The pie will puff up and then sink back down as it cools.
- Let Cool: Allow the pie to cool completely on a wire rack.
How Do I Know When My Sweet Potato Pie is Done?
When your pie is finished cooking, you should be able to insert a toothpick into the center and see it come out clean. You can also gently jiggle the pie to check for doneness. When it’s ready to come out of the oven, the center will wiggle slightly.
Tips for the Best Sweet Potato Pie
- Roast the Potatoes: If you’re using fresh sweet potatoes, I highly recommend roasting them over boiling them. This will limit the amount of water in the pie and give it a better consistency. Roasting your sweet potatoes also enhances the flavor of your pie!
- Don’t Over Bake Your Pie Crust: If your pie crust is browning quicker than you’d like it to, you can cover it with foil or use a pie shield to slow down the browning process.
- Don’t Over Bake Your Pie Either: Once your pie is at the 55-minute mark, start checking it for doneness. If you over bake your pie, it may crack. (Not the end of the world, you can just cover the crack with whipped cream when you slice the piece.)
How to Store Homemade Sweet Potato Pie
Since this pie is made with milk and eggs, it’s important to keep it chilled. I recommend storing it in the fridge as soon as it’s done cooling if you don’t plan to serve it right away. Keep it in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap.
How Long will Sweet Potato Pie Last in the Refrigerator?
If you avoid leaving the pie out for more than 2 hours at a time, it will stay fresh for 3 days. I usually just take off a slice and put the pie right back in the fridge to extend its shelf life.
Why Did My Sweet Potato Pie Crack?
There are a few reasons why your pie may crack. Here are a few simple steps you can take to prevent it from happening. However, if it does crack, you can easily cover it up with some whipped cream and your pie will still look and taste perfect!
- Over Baking: Over baking a pie is the most common cause of cracking. Be sure to remove your pie from the oven once a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cooking Prematurely: It’s important that your oven is at 350°F when you put in your pie. If it’s still too hot from roasting the potatoes or not fully preheated, it’ll disrupt the baking process and may cause cracking.
- Placement in the Oven: It’s generally a good idea to cook this pie on a lower rack in your oven. This is because the oven tends to be hotter at the top. However, everyone’s oven is different, so cook your pie according to what works best for your setup.
This spiced Sweet Potato Pie is such a smooth and luxurious dessert! Made with fresh or canned sweet potatoes, your family will love this easy homemade pie.
- 2 large sweet potatoes (2 cups mashed)
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten and room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Clean the sweet potatoes and bake for 45-55 minutes until very soft. Allow the potatoes to cool.
- Reduce heat on the oven to 350°F.
- Roll out your pie dough to 12-inches in diameter. Place the dough in a 9×2-inch (deep dish) pie plate. Set aside or into the refrigerator if not ready to bake yet.
- Once cooled, peel the skin from the potatoes and mash until smooth. You will need 2 cups of mashed sweet potatoes. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter and 3/4 cup of granulated sugar together for 1 minute. Add in the mashed sweet potatoes, evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mix for another minute until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Pour the pie filling into the unbaked pie crust. Sprinkle the top of the filling with the remaining 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. Allow the pie to sit for 10 minutes to allow the sugar time to dissolve/melt.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Pie will puff up and then sink back down as it cools.
- Allow the pie to cool completely on a wire rack.
You can use canned sweet potatoes if you don’t want to roast them.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: sweet potato pie recipe, how to make sweet potato pie, old fashioned sweet potato pie, homemade sweet potato pie, easy sweet potato pie, best sweet potato pie recipe
Want To Save This Recipe?
Find more recipes like this:
- Fall Baking
PIN for later:
- Sweet Potato. This recipe calls for a pound of whole sweet potatoes. ...
- Butter. Like so many baked goods, butter is essential to sweet potato pie. ...
- Sugar. Obviously, granulated sugar adds sweetness. ...
- Milk. ...
- Eggs. ...
- Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Vanilla. ...
- Unbaked Pie Crust.
Boiling also runs the risk of leaving you with watery mash, which can make a pie that doesn't firm up. Once they're soft, take the skin off and mash them - don't be too meticulous about mashing, some small chunks are okay and they make the texture of the pie really lovely. :D.Do you freeze a sweet potato pie before or after baking? ›
To freeze, prepare your pie and stop before baking. Wrap your pie completely in plastic wrap about three times over. Then place in a resealable bag and freeze. This pie can be frozen for up to 3 months!What brings out the flavor of sweet potatoes? ›
While sweet potatoes taste delicious with just a sprinkle of salt and pepper, a little extra seasoning really elevates the flavor. If you're looking to add a warming, savory vibe to this recipe try roasting with a blend of cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.Do I have to boil sweet potatoes before baking? ›
No, you do not need to boil or parboil sweet potatoes before roasting them in the oven.What is Dolly Parton's favorite pie? ›
Dolly Parton Pie is the world-famous singer's favorite, a walnut pie with a rich, sweet filling you can enjoy whenever you get the Mule Skinner Blues! Buttery, crunchy, and melodic, Dolly Parton Pie is just what you need most when it's time to tuck into dessert.Why do you soak sweet potatoes before baking? ›
By soaking the wedges you draw out the starch from the potato. The starch is what causes the insides of wedges to go gloppy when they bake, and by removing the starch you increase the chances of them coming out light and fluffy in the centre.Why is my sweet potato pie soupy? ›
A runny sweet potato pie filling can be caused by a few different things. One possibility is that the sweet potatoes were not cooked long enough and need to be cooked longer. Another possibility is that the filling was not thickened enough. One way to thicken the filling is to add more flour or cornstarch to it.How do you know when you're sweet potato pie is done? ›
The center of the pie should have some give; it should jiggle slightly in the center. The pie has an internal temperature of 175°F on an instant-read thermometer when done. If you don't want to take the temperature, a knife inserted into the edge of the filling should come out moist but clean.How do I stop the bottom of my pie being soggy? ›
Add a Layer
Sprinkle dried breadcrumbs or crushed cornflakes, or other types of cereal, on the bottom crust before filling and baking in the oven. This will prevent the filling from turning the crust soggy.
The egg is the all-important binder in a sweet potato casserole: it enriches and stiffens the mixture without making it heavy. Make sure to cool the mash slightly before adding the egg so it doesn't scramble, and to stir well so there are no streaks of cooked egg white in the finished dish.How do you keep sweet potato pie crust from getting soggy? ›
Brush Your Pie in Egg Wash
Once you've pre-baked your pie, brush the bottom and sides of the crust with egg wash, then reheat at 400° for 4 minutes to set the glaze. This creates a seal between the crust and the filling so that your crust stays crispy and golden once the filling is added.
Such recipes typically call for milk and eggs, which require immediate refrigeration, so if your pie is left out at room temperature for longer than two hours, it needs to be thrown out, according to the USDA.Can sweet potato pie sit out overnight? ›
You sure can. If you are preparing this sweet potato pie a day in advance, you can keep it out at room temperature and covered loosely with foil. If you are making the pie more than a day in advance, cover the pie with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 days. What is this?Do sweet potatoes get sweeter the longer you cook them? ›
Sweet potatoes are between 1 and 2.5 per cent sugar when raw, but they get sweeter as they cook thanks to the work of amylase enzymes that break down starch into simple sugars. These enzymes are most active at 75°C (167°F).When should you not use sweet potatoes? ›
If your sweet potato is oozing, soft and squishy, discolored, smelly, or have a bunch of sprouts, it's time to toss. If there are only a few sprouts and the sweet potato is still firm you can cut the sprouted portion off, cook and eat right away, or you can plant it!What is the white liquid that comes out of a sweet potato? ›
Initially, it may be off-putting, but it's actually indicative of a healthy potato and a flavorful meal. FoodsGuy explains that this thick, white, sticky liquid is just a mixture of sugar and water from the sweet potato leaking a bit after getting excited by the prospect of being part of such a delicious meal.Is it better to boil sweet potatoes whole or cut up? ›
If you're making mashed sweet potatoes, it's best to chop the potatoes instead of boiling them whole because it will save you time. To boil about 4 pounds of chopped sweet potatoes (roughly six sweet potatoes), it will take about 15 to 20 minutes if you start them in cold water.How much time does it take to boil sweet potatoes? ›
How long to boil sweet potatoes: For one pound of sweet potatoes, cover the pan and cook sweet potatoes in the boiling salted water 20 to 25 minutes or until just tender. You should be able to easily pierce the sweet potato with a fork or knife.Do you salt the water when boiling sweet potatoes? ›
Place the sweet potatoes in a pot and cover with 1 inch of lukewarm water; add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and cook until tender when pierced with a fork, around 7 to 12 minutes. Then drain.
Pumpkin pie is Americans' top choice for a Thanksgiving pie — with pecan pie, apple pie, and sweet potato pie right behind it.What was Martin Luther King's favorite pie? ›
King and in recognition of his birthday, we'd like to share a recipe for his favorite dessert: pecan pie. Many historical sources share that pecan pie – not ice cream, and not cake! – was King's favorite treat.Why is boiling sweet potatoes better? ›
Boiling sweet potatoes retains more beta-carotene and makes the nutrient more absorbable than other cooking methods such as baking or frying. Up to 92% of the nutrient can be retained by limiting the cook time, such as boiling in a pot with a tightly covered lid for 20 minutes.Do you have to peel sweet potatoes? ›
Yes, you can eat sweet potato skin, whether it's an orange, white or purple sweet potato. So the next time you make sweet potatoes, try keeping the skin on. Not only will it save you prep time and add a textural component to the dish, but there are also nutritional benefits to leaving the peel on.Should you boil sweet potatoes whole? ›
Boil whole for 30-50 minutes. This largely depends on the size of the potato. Smaller ones will be done faster, larger potatoes may take a bit longer. Boil sweet potatoes that are cut into 1-inch cubes for 12-15 minutes.Should sweet potatoes sink or float? ›
Sweet potatoes float because they are less dense than water, so it ends up that the water they displace weighs more than the potatoes themselves. Regular potatoes are more dense and do not float.How long should a sweet potato pie sit out? ›
Note: Sweet potato pie can be left at room temperature up to two days without refrigeration. Can be refrigerated up to one week and remain fresh.How do you thicken a sweet potato pie? ›
Again you may use your food processor if you like. If the mixture is too runny add flour a tablespoon at a time to thicken it up until the mixture is almost like an applesauce consistency.What is the best temperature to bake sweet potatoes? ›
Bake sweet potatoes in a 400°F oven for 45-60 minutes. The best temperature to cook sweet potatoes in the oven is 400 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature is hot enough to cook the potatoes in under an hour while also not being so hot that they burn.Can you overcook sweet potatoes? ›
Yes, you can overcook a sweet potato. If you cook the potato for too long, the exterior will become dry, and the interior will become mushy. To prevent this, be sure to check on the potato regularly and remove it from the oven as soon as it's tender.
How long does sweet potato pie last? The baked and cooled pie will keep for up to 4 days stored in the refrigerator. It will also keep for up to 1 month in the freezer.What is the secret to a good pie crust? ›
- Keep the Butter Cold. ...
- Use Your Fridge To Keep Other Ingredients Cold. ...
- Chill Thoroughly. ...
- Handle Dough Gently. ...
- Evenly Distribute Butter. ...
- Roll Dough Away From You. ...
- Don't Knead Too Much. ...
- Don't Be Afraid To Leave Crumbles.
Poking holes allows steam to escape
Air bubbles can also lead to cracks, and cracks inevitably lead to leaks. Therefore, for a level, leak-proof crust, a perforated crust is key. If, however, the recipe you're working with has a particularly liquidy filling, poking the bottom isn't a necessary step.
One of my very favorite kitchen tricks is to brush a bottom pie crust with an egg white wash before filling. This keeps the filling from seeping into the crust and creating a soggy bottom. I like to avoid soggy bottoms at all costs. Egg white and water is also perfect for sealing edges, like when making a pie.Is it better to bake or boil sweet potatoes for a casserole? ›
Baking can also cause an 80% drop in vitamin A levels, twice as much as boiling. Therefore, from a nutritional standpoint, boiling rather than baking should be recommended for cooking sweet potato.Why do Americans put marshmallows on sweet potato? ›
For centuries, early Americans preferred their sweet potatoes prepared without an extra sugary addition. The marshmallow top became the classic preparation in the most American way: A company with smart marketing sold us on it.Why do restaurants put salt on the outside of baked potatoes? ›
Why is it common to salt the exterior of a baked potato? A: Chefs started doing this years ago to allow the salt to absorb or draw out the moisture of the potato while baking, which results in a dry, fluffy potato. They used to do something similar with prime rib, sometimes baking it over rock salt.What is best to brush on top pie crust before baking? ›
Pies with a top crust or lattice top will typically call for an egg or cream wash to be brushed on to the dough just before baking. The type of wash you use is what will give the baked pie a polished finish (it's also the perfect "glue" for holding sugar that's sprinkled on the crust).What is the best thing to brush pie crust before baking? ›
For a glossy golden appearance, brush with an egg yolk that was beaten with 1 teaspoon of water. For slight shine, brush with half-and-half cream of heavy whipping cream. For a crisp brown crust, brush with water. For a little sparkle, sprinkle with sugar or decorator sugar after brushing with one of the washes.Is water or milk better for pie crust? ›
Some bakers use milk or buttermilk in their pie crust. Thanks to their milk solids, both will help crust brown and add a bit of tenderness. But the classic liquid in pie crust is water — ice water, to be precise.
It really it all comes to down answering one simple question - Should Sweet Potato Pie Be Jiggly in the Middle? Just as cookies are overdone if they look done in the oven, sweet potato pie should not look done in the oven. The center of the pie should have some jiggle to it. The reason for this is carryover heat.How long to cook sweet potato pie before refrigerating? ›
Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake until set or a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.How do you know when sweet potato pie is done? ›
The center of the pie should have some give; it should jiggle slightly in the center. The pie has an internal temperature of 175°F on an instant-read thermometer when done. If you don't want to take the temperature, a knife inserted into the edge of the filling should come out moist but clean.Can you refrigerate sweet potato pie filling before baking? ›
If not using straight away, cover and refrigerate the puree for about three to five days. You need 2 cups (425 grams) of Sweet Potato Puree for the pie filling. Pie Crust: In your food processor, place the flour, salt, and sugar and process until combined.Is sweet potato pie healthier than pumpkin? ›
While pumpkin is still a nutritious food and a good choice for carb-watchers, the sweet potato has more nutrients. The sweet potato pie comes out on top as the nutritious winner. However, if the texture is a top priority, most people will agree that pumpkin pie reigns supreme.What are the four basic ingredients in baking pies? ›
1. There are four ingredients in a standard piecrust: flour, fat, liquid, and salt. Flour forms the structure and bulk of the crust, fat adds flavor and creates a flaky texture, liquid binds the dough and keeps it pliable, and salt enhances the flavor and helps brown the crust.What are the three basic ingredients of pies and pastries? ›
The three primary ingredients of pastry are fat, flour and water. The ratio and handling of these ingredients give us the full spectrum of pastry, from delicate tenderness to brittle flakiness.What is potato pie made of? ›
They involve mashed potatoes, eggs, sugar, lemon, nutmeg, and vanilla. White notes that this pie would have been easy to make and transport, and could withstand summer heat after a summer potato harvest.How do you thicken a sweet potato pie filling? ›
Again you may use your food processor if you like. If the mixture is too runny add flour a tablespoon at a time to thicken it up until the mixture is almost like an applesauce consistency.What is the number 2 most important thing when making pie crust? ›
#2—Add cold water
Before you start making the dough, fill a glass with ice and water. Add the ice water gradually to the dough, about one tablespoon or so at a time, and stop when the dough is just moist enough to hold together when a handful is squeezed.
Pie crusts can be made in many different ways, but I love a pie crust that is flaky. Shortening will help keep the pie crust together and butter will help make it flaky.Which flour is best for making pies? ›
Flour: It's all about the protein
What kind of flour makes the best pie crust? Well, not high-protein bread flour! Use that for your chewy bagels. What you want for pie is flour that yields a tender, flaky crust, which means medium-protein all-purpose flour or low-protein pastry flour.
RULE #7 Rest the pastry
Putting the dough back in the fridge to rest for any time longer than 15 minutes – but ideally at least 30 minutes – allows the gluten to relax and allows the pastry to chill. Cool and relaxed pastry is far more likely to hold its shape when cooking.
Pastry must always be chilled in a fridge after making. This helps it to relax which in turn will help to prevent it shrinking on baking. Additionally, instead of trimming excess pastry from a tart case before baking blind you could also leave it overhanging the tin.What is the main ingredient in a popular pie? ›
Assuming that all cooking techniques and flavors are on point, what is the most popular pie ingredient. According to Pinterest, the most popular pie ingredient is apple. From searches for Dutch Apple Pie Recipe to apple pie filling, those searches have more than doubled.What is Dolly Parton pie? ›
Dolly Parton Pie is the world-famous singer's favorite, a walnut pie with a rich, sweet filling you can enjoy whenever you get the Mule Skinner Blues! Buttery, crunchy, and melodic, Dolly Parton Pie is just what you need most when it's time to tuck into dessert.What state produces the most sweet potato pie? ›
North Carolina: Sweet potato pie
The state has good reason to be proud of its sweet potatoes; it has been the largest producer of the vegetable in the US since 197. Hence the choice for sweet potato pie.
Additionally, they contain less sugar and calories than sweet potato pie. This makes them an ideal choice for those who are looking for a low-calorie option. Pumpkins also offer you plenty of nutrients, including vitamin A, protein, carbs, fiber, Vitamin C, potassium, and fats.
The center of the pie should have some give; it should jiggle slightly in the center. The pie has an internal temperature of 175°F on an instant-read thermometer when done. If you don't want to take the temperature, a knife inserted into the edge of the filling should come out moist but clean.How many sweet potatoes make a pound? ›
To get a pound of raw sweet potatoes you'll need: 2 large sweet potatoes, 3 medium sweet potatoes, or 4 small sweet potatoes.
According to that outlet, for cooking, "1 pound of sweet potatoes equals about three medium whole, 2 cups mashed, or 3 1/2 to 4 cups chopped."