This is the best way to microwave a sweet potato so that it’s cooked perfectly every single time! This easy recipe is a family favorite – I really think it’s the best way to cook sweet potatoes.
Microwave Sweet Potato
Have you ever found yourself craving a delicious, healthy sweet potato for dinner but didn’t want to wait for it to cook in the oven? I’ve discovered the perfect solution with this microwaved sweet potato recipe.
It’s an easy sweet potato dish that’s perfect for busy weeknights or even when you’re just in the mood for a quick and satisfying side dish. Not only is this method of cooking sweet potatoes incredibly convenient, but it also makes a moist, tender potato that rivals any baked sweet potato I’ve ever had.
I’ve always been a fan of microwave cooking, especially when I want to enjoy a healthy dinner without spending too much time in the kitchen. With just a microwave-safe plate, a paper towel, and a fork, I can easily whip up this sweet potato dish in no time.
What I love about this microwaved sweet potato recipe is not only its time-saving aspect but also how incredibly healthy it is. The addition of salt and pepper enhances the natural flavors of the sweet potato, while the optional brown sugar adds a touch of sweetness
One of the best things about this recipe is how easy it is to cook a sweet potato in the microwave. With just a few simple steps, I can have a perfectly cooked sweet potato that’s ready to be enjoyed.
Sweet Potato: I chose a medium sweet potato because it’s the perfect size for a single serving and cooks evenly in the microwave.
Butter: I like using butter to add some richness and flavor to the sweet potato. It helps to make it moist and delicious.
Salt and Pepper (to taste): Adding a little salt and pepper enhances the natural flavors of the sweet potato.
How To Microwave A Sweet Potato
Prepare the Sweet Potato: Start by rinsing the sweet potato under cool, running water. Give it a good scrub to remove all dirt and debris, then use a paper towel to dry it. (See the recipe card below for the full printable instructions.)
Pierce the Potato: Using a fork, poke holes all over the potato (about 3 times on each side). This allows steam to release as the sweet potato cooks. Place it onto a small microwave-safe plate.
Cook the Potato: Microwave on high, then use tongs to flip it over. Microwave again.
Check for Doneness: Carefully remove the plate from the microwave and check for doneness by inserting a knife into the center. If it glides in with ease, the potato is done; if there is some resistance, place the plate back into the microwave for additional 1-minute intervals until done.
Finish and Enjoy: Allow the potato to cool off until you’re able to safely handle it. Be careful because it will come out of the microwave HOT. Cut in half (but not all the way through), then fluff the inside using a fork. Garnish with butter, salt, and pepper. Enjoy! See the recipe card below for the full written instructions, including ingredient amounts, cooking times, and helpful tips, etc.
Do You Need To Pierce Potatoes Before Microwaving?
Absolutely! If you don’t pierce a potato before putting it in the microwave, it could explode as a result of all the built-up steam. Always remember to poke holes in your sweet potato before microwaving.
How Long Should You Microwave A Sweet Potato?
The timing for microwaving a sweet potato depends on its size. For a medium sweet potato (6-8 ounces), it should take about 6 minutes to cook (3 minutes on each side). For larger sweet potatoes, you may need to add a few more minutes of cooking time.
Can You Microwave 2 Sweet Potatoes At The Same Time?
Yes, you can! Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly, as it may take longer to cook both potatoes. Make sure to choose two potatoes similar in size so they cook evenly. You may also need to rotate the potatoes during cooking to ensure even cooking.
Should You Use The Potato Button On The Microwave?
While the potato button on your microwave may be convenient, it’s not always the most accurate way to cook a sweet potato. It’s best to follow the specific cook times and guidelines provided in this recipe for the best results.
How Do You Know When A Sweet Potato Is Fully Cooked?
To check if your sweet potato is fully cooked, insert a paring knife into the center. If it easily pierces through with no resistance, your sweet potato is done.
Are Yams And Sweet Potatoes The Same?
While yams and sweet potatoes are often used interchangeably, they are actually different vegetables. Sweet potatoes have a smoother skin and a sweeter taste, while yams have rough skin and a more starchy, less sweet taste.
Can I Cook a Sweet Potato in the Microwave Without a Plate?
While it’s possible to cook a sweet potato directly on the microwave turntable, it’s best to use a microwave-safe plate to catch any juices that may release during cooking.
Can I Reheat a Cooked Sweet Potato in the Microwave?
Yes! Just place the cooked sweet potato on a microwave-safe plate, cover with a microwave-safe lid or another plate, and microwave until heated through.
- Choose Uniform-Sized Sweet Potatoes: This ensures even cooking in the microwave.
- Rotate the Sweet Potatoes Halfway Through Cooking: This helps to cook the sweet potatoes evenly on all sides.
- Allow the Sweet Potatoes to Rest for a Minute or Two After Microwaving: This lets the steam inside continue to cook the sweet potato and makes it easier to handle.
- Cinnamon and Brown Sugar: Sprinkle some cinnamon and brown sugar on your cooked sweet potato for a sweet and flavorful twist.
- Olive Oil and Garlic: Drizzle some olive oil and minced garlic on top of your cooked sweet potato for a savory spin.
Keep In Touch
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram!@KeyToMyLime#KeyToMyLime
- Microwave Baked Potato: Enjoy a Microwave Baked Potato that’s perfectly fluffy and tender, ready in just a few minutes for a quick and satisfying side dish.
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes: These Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and make for a delicious, healthy side dish or snack.
- Sweet Potato Cornbread: Add a twist to traditional cornbread with this Sweet Potato Cornbread recipe, featuring a moist and flavorful bread perfect for pairing with chili or soup.
- Canned Sweet Potato Casserole: Simplify your holiday cooking with this Canned Sweet Potato Casserole recipe, a time-saving dish with a sweet, buttery topping that’s sure to impress your guests.
Yield: 1 serving
The best way to microwave a sweet potato so that it’s cooked perfectly every time! This easy recipe is the best way to cook sweet potatoes.
Prep Time2 minutes
Cook Time6 minutes
Additional Time2 minutes
Total Time2 minutes
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 6-8 ounces)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Rinse the sweet potato under cool, running water. Give it a good scrub to remove all dirt and debris, then use a paper towel to dry it.
- Using a fork, poke holes all over the potato (about 3 times on each side) This allows steam to release as the sweet potato cooks. Place it onto a small microwave safe plate.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes, then use tongs to flip it over. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Carefully remove the plate from the microwave and check for doneness by inserting a knife into the center. If it glides in with ease, the potato is done, if there is some resistance, place the plate back into the microwave for 1 minute intervals until done.
- Allow the potato to cool off for 1-2 minutes (or until you're able to handle it). Be careful because it will come out of the microwave HOT.
- Cut in half (but not all the way through), then fluff the inside using a fork. Garnish with butter, salt, and pepper. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 297Total Fat: 11.6gCarbohydrates: 45.6gFiber: 6.8gSugar: 9.5gProtein: 3.7g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
Now you know how to make a delicious and healthy Microwave Sweet Potato in just a few minutes. Enjoy this easy side dish any time you want a tasty and convenient meal addition.